Monday, February 18, 2008

(S) to be continued?

The moment she walked into the cafe, general chatter ceased. Dressed in a resplendent sapphire dress, the lady radiated a sense of great purpose...and charm. All eyes were on this stranger. Mine included. Her gaze fell on the bar and body followed, snaking through the patron-filled tables with so much grace that others could only have acquired from hours of rehearsal.

The lady sat down on the bar seat beside me. I looked away, intimidated, doing a double take as I noticed a sliver of metal running down her neck. It was a necklace, with the thin chain ending between her collarbones, just below her neck. There, hung a two designs that stirred feelings deep within, again, I looked away, down at my drink. Swirling my drink, I stared into my reflection, the churning of alcohol forming a semi-whirlpool effect distorted my image. I wanted to turn and talk to this mysterious woman, I wanted to know everything and anything about her. What was she doing in this town? And of her stature, compared to the hill-billies in the room?

Love. And music. Those where the motifs dangling on her necklace. Bitter-thoughts of my past started to rise. I pushed them down, ordering another shot of the drink. I needed to clear my mind.

Yet again, my thoughts drifted to her. What was it that I just couldn't let go of? I glanced sidewards, furtively. Our eyes met, locked. And I looked away, no, I just couldn't. My heart and mind conflicted. My mouth formed the words, yet my throat constricted. To my surprise, I found a hand on my arm, looking sideways, I stared into her eyes once more.

"Hi, I'm new here. Think you could show me around?" Relief from making a choice gripped me, turning with a sheepish smile, I cleared my throat...